Friday, April 29, 2011

He Walked the Walk

9 1/2 years ago, Rich finished his undergraduate degree at BYU.  However, he never "walked", because it was December and he would've had to fly back in April to be able to do so.  Too much effort. . . too much money.  So, we just got his diploma in the mail, did a little cheer and called it good.  Kind of anti-climactic, I'm thinking.

For that very reason, I told Rich he ought to go back and get his MBA.  You know, just so we might be able to get some good pictures of him in a graduation cap and gown, as we missed it the first time around.  He agreed that it was a very valid reason and decided to put everything on hold for a few years and go back to BYU for a graduate degree.  And now I finally have those pictures I wanted.

Take a look. . . .

    "Pssst. . . . pssst. . . . RICH . . . . Turn around! . . . . I'm right behind you!"  He never did, but it sure was fun climbing over people to get that close.

Speaking of crowds, there was an area set aside on the floor level of the Marriott Center for a family member to grab a quick shot of their graduate when their name was being read and they get their diploma.  Come down, take a picture or two, go back to your seat.  Or so I thought.  As my sister and I raced down to the floor, we discovered that 100 other people were lining the stairs to get to that same point.  Only, I'm thinking they were just planning ahead for their graduates who were still 5 million names away.  Or more.

So, I missed it.  I didn't get any shots of him getting his diploma or doing the hand-shake thing with the Dean.  I did, however, hear his name being read as we were attempting the maze.  Good wife moment #126.

Anywho . . . . I guess I will get that shot when he gets his PhD.   How about it, Rich?  Up for it?

In the meantime, maybe our little Wilcoxes can start thinking about carrying the torch their dad lit for them.  Until then, we will continue brainwash--I mean encouraging them to set their sights to BYU.  We kinda like that place.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Hip, hip, hooray! I'm still in awe that your family was brave enough to do that. Congrats, Rich!!

Lesa said...

It really happened. Whoever said Rich doesnt like getting his picture taken? He looked like he was loving it!!!right??? So happy for you guys!!

Carrick family said...

So awesome!! Rich let you take pictures of him on an important day of his life!! You must be so proud of him taking pictures of him! :)